Many a Friday night in Ithaca spent making these with girlfriends when it was too cold to go outside. Which was always. I like to add a dash of orange liquor ( particularily Gran Mariner) or if I had accidentally drank that, orange essence sufficed.
Molten Chocolate Cakes
- baking cocoa
- 6 oz. semi sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS butter or margarine
- 3 large whole eggs
- 3 large whole eggs yolks
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease bottoms and sides of 4 ramekins ( about 6 oz cups) with butter, then dust with cocoa ( as if you were trying to coat an art project with glitter…)
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt the baking chocolate and butter over low heat stirring frequently ( SERIOUSLY, over low heat- the chocolate melts really fast, and you don’t want to end up with rancid chocolate and butter because you are in a hurry). Let cool slightly.
- Beat whole eggs and egg yolks in a large bow until well blended. Whisk in powdered sugar. Beat in melted chocolate/butter mixture + flour.
- Divide batter evenly among ramekins. Place on a cookie sheet with sides.
- Bake 12-14 minute or until sides are set and center is still soft. The tops should be puffy and cracked.
- Let stand 3 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the cups to loosen, flip over onto a plate and immediately stand right side up.
- Sprinkle tops with powdered sugar if desired.